Visitation Guidelines for Professionals
The Bergen County Sheriff’s Office strives to provide inmates entrusted to its custody with all the protections and rights afforded to them by the America’s legal traditions and due process. As such, the Office permits inmates access to various legal, medical, religious and social professionals as an inmate’s needs require.
Attorneys, interpreters, clergy and medical or social professionals who desire to visit with a specific inmate must follow the following procedures:
- Professional access to inmates will be permitted in the jail from 8:00 A.M. through 9:30 P.M. 7 days a week. All visits are subject to approval by the Tour Commander on duty.
- Upon arrival, professionals will be asked to give their name and provide proper identification, such as a Bergen County Sheriff-issued identification card, Attorney Bar Association card, Motor Vehicle License or Medical License, to the Reception Officer on duty.
- All persons entering the secure area of the Bergen County Jail must deposit cell phones, coats, keys, tobacco products and any other prohibited items in the lockers provided. FAILURE TO DO SO MAY RESULT IN FINES AND CRIMINAL PROSECUTION.
- While visiting an inmate, only soft sided file folders are permitted within the jail The inmate may not be given anything other than legal papers.
- Items such as money, pens, highlighters, paper clips, jewelry, matches, lighters, cigarettes and chewing gum are considered contraband and are strictly prohibited.