All correspondence for inmates shall be mailed to:
Bergen County Jail
P.O. Box 0369
Hackensack, N.J. 07601-0369
To ensure the safety and security of all the inmates and staff all the mail received at the Sheriff’s Office for inmates is subject to inspection. Publication such as magazines, newspapers, and books shall only be accepted when shipped directly from the publisher. Correspondences containing certain types of information as listed below are not allowed within the jail facility. The items are:
- Correspondence or publication contains material which is detrimental to the security and/or order of the Bergen County Jail because it incites violence based upon race, religion, creed or nationality and a reasonable inference can be drawn, based upon the experience and professional expertise of correctional administrators that it may result in the outbreak of violence within the facility.
- Correspondence or publication contains information regarding:
- Controlled dangerous substances
- Escape plans
- Lock picking or locking devices
- Anything deemed to constitute an immediate threat to the security or orderly operation of the Bergen County Jail
- Correspondence or publication contains information which appears to be written in code.
- Correspondence or publication that contains information concerning activities within or outside the Bergen County Jail which would be subject to criminal prosecution under the laws of State of New Jersey or the United States.
- Correspondence or publication that may incites violence or destructive or disruptive behavior towards:
- Law enforcement officers
- Office of the Bergen County Sheriff or contract vendor’s personnel
- Facility inmates/detainees, visitors and/or volunteers
- Facility programs or procedures
- Correspondence or publication contains material which, based upon the experience and professional expertise of correctional administrators and judged in the context of the Bergen County Jail and its paramount interest in security, order and rehabilitation:
- Taken as a whole, appeals to prurient interest in sex
- Lacks, as a whole, serious literary, artistic, political or scientific value, and depicts, in a patently offensive way, actual or simulated sexual conduct including patently offensive representations or descriptions of ultimate sexual acts, masturbation, excretory functions, lewd exhibition of the genitals, sadism, masochism or bestiality.